Careers/Network Operations Technician – Telecommunications – Experienced
Network Operations Technician – Telecommunications – Experienced
Test, analyzes, and interprets data for trouble shooting in switching equipment, computer systems, data networks, and associated peripherals. Operates and maintains various switching, data network, and computer processing equipment. Installs, updates, accepts, tests, and initializes systems and equipment. Monitors switching equipment, computer systems, and data networks. Responsible for maintaining accurate and complete records and taking any corrective action as needed.
- Provide day-to-day support for legacy systems as well as next-generation technologies, of local and toll switching equipment, data network/equipment, and computer processing systems; including on-call support.
- Program and install high-speed data, internet, and voice services in the network and to the customer premise.
- Program, install, and maintenance of central office equipment and all peripheral equipment including, but not limited to, digital/analog equipment such as switching, carrier systems, span lines, high speed internet, voicemail, data circuits, fiber optics, etc.
- Analyze and repair digital equipment using technical meters such as TBERD’s, OTDR’s, frequency meters, and synchronization meters
- Collaborate with peers within the OSP and other groups on cross-functional projects
- Develop and maintain technical competencies as defined by departmental management
- Shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management, and based on the needs of the business
- Serve as a proficient trouble-shooter, and take direct involvement in resolution of outages in coordination with other groups.
- As part of an on-call/standby rotation, respond to after-hours call-out for service restoration, troubleshooting, network testing and repair of all necessary equipment.
- This position requires the ability to quickly troubleshoot switching, data networks, and transmission equipment issues to bring to resolution by assessing staff inputs, and creatively implementing workarounds or alternative methods.
- You must be able work and communicate effectively with the network support team, network operations center, management, and production control teams.
- Knowledge of Switching / DSL / FTTP / and Cable technologies
- Must have the ability to understand equipment manuals, technical documentation, and or computer printouts for the purpose of trouble shooting and maintaining digital and analog systems.
- Advise the Departmental Supervisor of all changes and/or problems on a continuing basis.
- Perform service orders, trouble resolution, provisioning, and work order routines.
- Operate and maintain computer systems and support devices; install and test system upgrades
- Respond to emergency service-affecting situations
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Minimum 4-5 years of job related work experience, including Transport, Switch, and Network equipment technologies
- Certification or equivalent training in the maintenance and operation of the Metaswitch, Calix DSL/FTTP systems, Adtran TA 3000 systems, Fujitsu (FO Transport), and Cisco Systems desired
- Installation and provisioning of network enabling CPE hardware for connection to network services to include xDSL, and FTTP systems
- Basic understanding of Telco transport hierarchy DS0-1-3, STS, OCN, and Ethernet
- Experience with translations involved within the Metaswitch desired
- Experience with Cable TV Headend equipment and the supporting networks
- Working knowledge of Generators, DC battery plants, and UPS systems
- Key/PBX System experience desired
Basic understanding of networking including TCP/UDP, IP and Ethernet